Saturday, October 28, 2006

Want some 'shrooms?

In Canada, they call them "washrooms". I hadn't noticed til I read a newspaper article the other day that this is different to the Yank terms "bathrooms" or "restrooms". Some Canadians I have heard refer to the "loo", but you rarely hear "toilet".

I'm working in an ex-primary school building at the moment, which has been reclaimed for office space by the board. Halfway down the hall are the "washrooms" and someone had put a sign up some time ago saying so. The sign is stuck to the wall of an alcove so that it sticks out into the hallway and you can see it from both sides. Problem is, from our side you can't see the "wa" so it just says "shrooms".

So really it seems our board has bigger problems that just literacy if the board staff are selling mushrooms to primary school children!

(Unfortunately, when I pointed this out to our secretary, she changed it. She did see the humour, but was being far too responsible in my opinion. I was quite happy to add other signs around the place offering "meth" outside the math room or "E" where they hand out report cards or "coke" at the tuck shop...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home